Habitat Cabarrus builds year-round in ALL types of weather. We are equipped to work through rain, snow and high/low temperatures depending on the stage of construction. Because volunteer safety is our top priority we follow specific policies. We appreciate volunteers working with us to ensure the construction site remains safe.
Always assume your scheduled workday is happening unless you are contacted directly and told otherwise. Habitat Cabarrus reserves the right to cancel a volunteer day as late as the day of the scheduled project.
Cold Weather Policy:
- Habitat reserves the right to cancel any volunteer activity due to unsafe travel conditions due to ice or snow.
- Construction Site Manager will close the site early if the temperature becomes dangerously cold or dips below 20 degrees.
- A “Buddy System” will also be implemented to ensure no one is building alone; monitor each other for signs of danger such as uncontrolled shivering, slurred speech, clumsy movements, fatigue and/or confused behavior.
Hot Weather Policy:
- Construction work will not be performed if the temperature reaches 100 degrees.
- Construction Site Manager will close site early if the heat/humidity becomes dangerous (94+)
- Water is always available on site, and frequent breaks will be implemented.
- A “Buddy System” will also be implemented to ensure no one is building alone; monitor each other for signs of heat-related illness such as muscle cramping, headaches, nausea or vomiting, light headedness, dizziness, rapid pulse, fatigue and/or confused behavior.
Please note that safety is always our first priority. Weather-related issues and other unforeseen factors beyond our control occasionally require us to change a scheduled volunteer date. We only cancel/reschedule when conditions require such action.
We appreciate your understanding and flexibility should this occur on your build day.